Exploring New Zealand: Visitor Visa Options for Travel and Leisure Purposes

To visit, travel, or spend your holiday in New Zealand, you can apply for a visitor visa based on the purpose of your visit. The type of visitor visa you need to apply for depends on the reason for your visit. For instance, if you intend to holiday in New Zealand or visit your family and friends, you can apply for a visitor visa. There are different types of visitor visas available depending on your specific circumstances. For example, if you are a grandparent of a New Zealand citizen or resident, you can apply for a Grandparent's Visa, which allows you to stay in New Zealand for a maximum of 18 months within a three-year period.

Visiting New Zealand: Visa Requirements

New Zealand has agreements with certain countries, known as 'visa waiver countries'. If you are travelling from one of these countries, you may be eligible for a visitor visa upon your arrival in New Zealand, allowing you to stay for up to 3 months (6 months for British citizens). However, you will still need to apply for a NZ Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA). In addition, visitors who wish to study for up to 3 months must also obtain a NZ Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA).

If you are not from a visa waiver country, you will need to apply for a visitor visa before travelling to New Zealand. To apply, you will need to provide Immigration New Zealand with specific information about your character and your planned stay in New Zealand.

Duration of Stay in New Zealand on Visitor Visas

On a visitor visa, you can stay in New Zealand for up to 3 months at a time. However, these visas can be renewed, allowing for a total stay of up to 9 months, provided that the expiry date of your last visa has not passed. In some special cases, such as medical treatment or attending a funeral, you may be allowed to stay for up to 12 months.

New Zealand Working Holiday Visa: Eligibility and Requirements

The New Zealand Working Holiday Visa is typically available to young individuals aged between 18-30, with some countries extending the age limit to 35. The visa allows for travel and work in New Zealand for a period of 12 to 23 months, depending on the applicant’s country of citizenship.

It's important to note that the eligibility criteria and requirements for the Working Holiday Scheme vary based on the applicant’s country of origin and the passport they intend to travel on. If you hold multiple passports, you must apply for the Scheme corresponding to the passport you plan to use while travelling to New Zealand.

Failing to apply for the correct Working Holiday Scheme may lead to your application being denied, and could also be considered providing false and misleading information, leading to potential negative consequences for future visa applications. To ensure that you have the correct information and apply for the right Working Holiday Scheme, it's advisable to seek the assistance of a licensed immigration adviser.

Visiting New Zealand for Business

For individuals who frequently travel to New Zealand for business purposes, a business visitor visa may be an option. This visa allows for multiple entries, but each visit must not exceed 3 months in any given year.

Eligibility for a business visitor visa includes being a representative on official trade missions, sales representative of overseas companies, overseas buyers of New Zealand goods or services, or individuals undertaking business consultations or negotiations related to establishing, expanding, or winding up a business enterprise in New Zealand.

However, if your work in New Zealand does not fall under the aforementioned categories, you will likely need to apply for a work visa.

Occupational Registration Visitor Visa for New Zealand

If you are looking to obtain New Zealand occupational registration, you can apply for an Occupational Registration Visitor Visa. This visa is also available if you are already in New Zealand and have applied for residence, but need more time to obtain your occupational registration.

This visa allows you to come to or remain in New Zealand to obtain your occupational registration.